Thursday, January 20, 2011

pizza, bread and noodles

Gotta love the title of this post.  No, not another pity post.

1. Andy bought me gluten free Bisquick mix.  We tried pizza last night.  He liked it (or claims to!).  I thought it was ok.  I said "I would eat this, but it isn't pizza".  He didn't understand what I was getting at.  Yes, it was edible without complaint. But I wouldn't call it pizza because it is not what pizza is in my head and heart (remember, I worked at pizza hut for >4 years).  The crust had the consistency of corn bread. It was gritty. The flavor was ok, but on my tongue it was like wet sand.  We need to keep trying other pizza crusts.

2. The bread I made a few nights ago sits on the counter. Andy loves it (of course, he loves everything gf).  It's very dense.  I could not eat a sandwich of it.  I know that homemade bread is dense but this is so heavy and the flavor is just a little off.  I have tried it toasted and even under the broiler as garlic bread.  Both times Andy finished mine for me.  I'm determined to make my own bread....but the Udi's is MUCH better.

3.  Tonight was our first experiment with pasta (except for when my mom made that gf spaghetti bake).  We made corn/quinoa pasta.  It was elbow shape noodles.  I smothered (yes smothered because I was worried about flavor) Alfredo sauce which I usually only like very light.  We also added some chicken.  It was great.  This was probably the best gluten free product I've had so far and I'm so happy because -darn it-I love my noodles.  I did try some plain as well and they were also tolerable, so I don't need to add that big, heavy, fatty sauce to eat it. I'm very excited.  The boxes of pasta are much more expensive ($3.50-$5 a box vs. regular pasta 2/$1.00) so Andy made his own regular noodles and we were very careful to not cross contaminate.

4. My mom sent me these cards in the mail that have a description of a gluten free diet to put in my wallet.  When I'm at a restaurant I can pull that out if it appears the waiter/server/chef doesn't know what it is all about. Very cool. Andy put one in his wallet too-cute!

5. I've tried the Woodchuck beer and the New Grist.  The first New Grist that I tried I really enjoyed. I tried it again last night and did not like the flavor as much. I think it is because the first night I was gossiping heavily with 3 friends and  didn't pay attention as much-so I know in social settings I can totally tolerate the New Grist.  Not sure if I'm a cider girl-but the Wood Chuck could grow on me too. 

6. This weekend we are going to stay overnight at my brother in law's house. It makes me nervous because it could turn into 3-4 meals away from home.  I haven't gone out to eat yet and have only eaten at one other friends house (who happens to be a dietitian and helped in MAJOR ways).  I think we are going to try restaurant eating Saturday night and I'm prepared to be bold and understanding. 

So here's the real question....for all of you who actually have read this far into this totally boring post.  We bought a 10 lb bag of potatoes thinking we'd be eating them all the time since I can't have noodles.  Since, we have had potatoes only once.  So now, here sits a huge bag of potatoes.
2 questions for you.
1. What recipes do you know for potatoes that you can make ahead and freeze?
2. Where do you store your potatoes? fridge? counter? floor? cupboard?  

Happy Friday tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. I make batches of twice baked and freeze them. I would think you could do those gluten free since all I add are butter, milk, cheese, etc. So tomorrow afternoon wash them, prick them with a fork, and stick them in the oven until they are tender. Then cut them in half, and make some potato boats. Freeze them on a cookie sheet and then stick them in zip bags. So good! I keep mine on the counter. I think it is hit or miss on how fast they rot or get the whatever they are called that start growing out of them...depending on how long they have been shipped or sitting at the store.

    I know they will turn black if they are just diced up and put in dishes. Give the twice baked a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make mashed potatoes a lot...with the peel on I slice them up, boil them, throw a some milk, butter (okay, more than "some"), sour cream (gf?), salt, pepper, parsley, garlic powder maybe and mash it all together. I know everyone can figure out how to make mashed potatoes, but that's how I do it :) They never last long enough to freeze, but I bet a freezer bag would do the trick. They don't even really need gravy in my opinion - maybe just some corn thrown in there and you're good to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Freeze Twice Baked!!!! So great to have on hand and delicious and you can vary the ingredients. For a meal you could also have just baked potatoes with toppings offered like cheese, broccoli, bacon, sour cream, even salsa and sauteed mushrooms (for Andy) etc. A meal in itself.

    ReplyDelete