Thursday, August 25, 2011

Snap and pop

Remember my post a few months ago about gluten free Rice Krispies?  I tried them tonight.  Andy bought me a box and I smiled huge.  I've never been a huge Rice Krispie fan, but anything that adds variety with familiarity makes me happy. 

Do you think Rice Krispies are a sweet cereal?  I never thought so.  They were almost boring to me. I like a cereal with granola, nut clusters or crunch.  But like I said-I was excited and had expectations that this cereal would taste identical to the original (something I'm always seeking). 

Unfortunately it didn't happen.  They are definitely tolerable, doable, eatable.  But now I realize why Rice Krispies taste sweet....the malt in them that are taken out of the gluten free version is probably what is used to "flavor" Rice Krispies.  So although they were 80% similar in texture (and yes they snapped and popped etc) they tasted almost identical to Rice Chex cereal.  I'm sure you can't imagine the difference.  And if you are anything like Andy, if you tried it, you still probably wouldn't notice the difference.  But the longer I am "sober" of gluten, the more I crave that old taste.  I'm hoping years from now, I will forget what those flavors and textures were like in my mouth. 

Don't worry. I'll still eat the whole box.  But I might add banana or nuts to it. 

1 comment:

  1. ...and how about some rice krispie bars with some Christmas sugars sprinkled on top in December? Love, Mom (your biggest fan)

    ReplyDelete